Some chopped crispy bacon or dried cranberries would be a welcome addition to this dish. You could also substitute chestnuts for pecans.
Serve 4 as a side. Prep 5 mins. Cook 15 mins.
500g Brussel sprouts
100g cooked chestnuts
Small bunch of sage
- Trim the sprouts. Keep the small ones whole and cut any large ones in half.
- Boil or steam them for 4 minutes, until just cooked. Drain and keep to one side.
- Coarsely chop the chestnuts. Add them to a frying pan with a little oil and half the butter. Fry them over a medium heat for 5 minutes, until starting to brown.
- Roughly tear 6-8 large sage leaves and add them to the pan with the remaining butter. Cook for 1 minute before adding the sprouts.
- Turn up the heat and sauté everything together for a few minutes, until the sprouts have warmed through.
- Serve immediately